Re: Top 7 Programming Languages That Employers Really Want

On Fri, 18 Oct 2019, Doug McGarrett wrote:

> Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 13:26:03
> From: Doug McGarrett <dmcgarrett@optonline.net>
> To: Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org>,
>     Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming <teo.en.ming.smartphone@gmail.com>
> Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: Top 7 Programming Languages That Employers Really Want
>

> On 10/18/2019 09:31 AM, Dan Ritter wrote:
> > Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming wrote:
> >> Subject: Top 7 Programming Languages That Employers Really Want
> >>
> >> This is just a quick survey. May I know what programming languages do
> >> you know? I am considering being a programmer or developer.
> >> How long will it take for me to master a programming language like
> >> C++, Java, and Python?
> >
> > Nobody knows.
> >

> skip intro
> >
> > Most experienced programmers know two or three computer languages very
> > well, and one or two others just enough to figure out what a program is
> > doing.
> >
> > Python is generally considered a good language to start learning
> > the ideas of programming, and is also widely used for a variety
> > of tasks. I think "Learn Python The Hard Way" is an excellent
> > introductory book. It will take a dedicated student at least
> > two months to get through it, or about a year if you work on it
> > one day a week or so.
> >
> > Once you know one programming language, you will find it much
> > easier to learn new ones in the same family of languages, and
> > also easier to learn unrelated languages. For example, once you
> > understand the concept of a typed variable, you won't have to
> > relearn that -- just what the types available in a given
> > language are.
> >
> > I work in shell, Perl, Python, Ruby; I use some special purpose
> > languages like SQL, and specialized configuration languages like
> > Cisco IOS and Juniper's JunOS. I have used any number of
> > languages in the past that I don't encounter much, like LISP,
> > FORTRAN and Prolog.
> >
> > I don't consider myself a programmer. I'm a senior
> > general-purpose systems administrator with network engineering,
> > security and people-management specialties.
> >
> > -dsr-
>
> I'm not a programmer either. I started learning code way back
> when BASIC and Fortran seemed to be the most common languages,
> and I learned to use BASIC. (This was in the days when we had
> an acoustic modem and a Teletype machine, and the mainframe was
> 1500 miles away!) Later, I learned a "real" language, Pascal.
> When I discovered the case statement, I was in heaven! What a
> mess it was to do the equivalent in BASIC! As an RF engineer,
> it was really handy to solve some repetitive equations in Pascal.
>
> I'm not sure if any Pascal compilers are still available, but
> Turbo was the most popular back when. Until the last version
> came out, and it was too complicated for its own good.
>
> I took a good look at Python, and decided that the necessary
> indentation was too much for me to deal with. Maybe there is
> [...]
The yabasic interpreter has a switch statement which takes case
statements inside it.  One rather unique feature of yabasic is the bind
command which binds your source code to the interpreter and in that way
constructs a stand-alone package.