Re: Bible study tools in Debian repository - End-user support?

On Wed, Oct 09, 2019 at 08:06:49AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> I browsed the posts at
> [https://alioth-lists.debian.net/pipermail/pkg-crosswire-devel/]
> for the last year. I don't think my initial questions would be suitably on
> topic.

Understood.  Still, the offer stands.

> > As the name would suggest, the primary purpose of the list is
> > development-related discussions (bug reports, package maintenance,
> > etc.).  But if you have a look at the archives, the list goes long
> > periods without any discussion, which is to say that the traffic is
> > quite low.  If you are not able to find another list, feel free to ask
> > your questions there.  As far as a I know, all of us on the list are
> > active users of these tools in addition to maintaining them.  We should
> > be able to help you out with what you need there if you decide that your
> > questions are off-topic here on debian-user.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > -Roberto
> >

> My immediate BibleTime related questions include:
> 1. When display the Strong's entry for a word there is a field titled
> "Morphology:". I find no references to the meaning of the abbreviations used
> there.

I personally don't use the morphology information and my knowledge of
linguistics is sadly lacking.  A quick skim of the "Morphology
(linguistics)" article on Wikipedia indicates that it is a way of
describing the origins and relationships of various parts of a word or
phrase.

> 2. Discussion of how to best use the "Personal commentary" tool.

This doesn't make sense to me.  Are you referring to the mechanics for
using the personal commentary tool or principles for developing a
personal commentarty?

> Another issue is difference(s) (if any) in the target audience of BibleTime
> and Xiphos.

Personally, I use Gnome and Xiphos, being built with GTK, integrates a
bit better.  Bibletime is built with Qt and so it feels more like a KDE
application.  That said, I have encountered some annoying UI bugs with
Xiphos and have not made the time to report/fix them.

> I know I don't have the latest release as this particular machine is still
> at Debian 9.8. I'll be installing Debian 10 soon but have some housekeeping
> issues to resolve first.

One thing that I found with Xiphos (again, which I've not yet formally
reported) is that drop-down selections for book/chapter/verse no longer
scroll.  That is, if their contents extend past the top/bottom of the
screen, the widget no longer has the ability to scroll.  That means
either getting as close as possible then navigating with up/down arrows,
or directly typing in the particular location in the adjacent text
field.

I am not aware if Bibletime has any similarly annoying bugs.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez