Re: Bible study tools in Debian repository - End-user support?

On Wed, Oct 09, 2019 at 05:41:02AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> I'm running Debian 9.8 and have just installed BibleTime, Xiphos, and
> diatheke. I expect BibleTime will become my primary tool. The available
> documentation has breadth, if not depth.
>
> For the type of usage questions I have, I have found archives of mailing
> lists and USENET groups to be a valuable tool in filling in voids in my
> background to avoid "newbie" confusion. I searched the various homepages
> without finding what I was looking for. One site explicitly stated they do
> not have publicly available user support fora. A web search turned up some
> old posts, all several years old.
>
> Can anyone suggest an active mailing list or USNET group where usage
> questions about these programs would be acceptably on-topic? I find web
> based fora difficult to follow.

Hi Richard,

Based on your description, those types of discussions would be on-topic
for this list.  However, if you are interested in a more focused
specifically oriented toward Bible study aids, or even Bible study aids
particularly in Debian, then I am not aware of such a specifically
focused group.  However, the Debian team that maintains most (or perhaps
all, I am not certain) of these packages has a mailing list here:
pkg-crosswire-devel@alioth-lists.debian.net

As the name would suggest, the primary purpose of the list is
development-related discussions (bug reports, package maintenance,
etc.).  But if you have a look at the archives, the list goes long
periods without any discussion, which is to say that the traffic is
quite low.  If you are not able to find another list, feel free to ask
your questions there.  As far as a I know, all of us on the list are
active users of these tools in addition to maintaining them.  We should
be able to help you out with what you need there if you decide that your
questions are off-topic here on debian-user.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez