Re: whereis/whatcontains xserver-xorg-legacy?

On Sat 28 Sep 2019 at 03:41:01 (-0400), Felix Miata wrote:
> David Wright composed on 2019-09-27 23:55 (UTC-0500):
>
> Thank you!
>
> > On Sat 28 Sep 2019 at 00:19:00 (-0400), Felix Miata wrote:
>
> >> apt search and aptitude search find it, but
> >> http://archive.debian.org/debian/pool/main/x/ and
> >> http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/x/ and
> >> https://sources.debian.org/prefix/x/ either don't have it, or it's hidden from
> >> view using a web browser.
>
> > You want http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/x/xorg-server/
>
> Yi, yi yi.

Well, I run apt-cacher-ng, so I only had to search my own cache with find.

> >> I tried installing it (in Buster), then examining it in /var/cache/apt/, but
> >> xserver-xorg-legacy was nowhere to be found. What controls whether packages are
> >> kept in the cache after installation?
>
> > apt-get doesn't clean by default. apt/aptitude probably do.
>
> Is there a way to choose the behavior other than typing apt-get instead of apt?

As Curt pointed out, the parameter is a bit buried; beyond the call of
duty at almost midnight.

My standard line for upgrading is in the form:
# apt-get update && apt-get -d upgrade ; apt-get upgrade ; read -p '^C or clean' _ ; apt-get clean

> >> I know what the package does generally, but I want to examine the package's
> >> content. What must I feed to wget to fetch it for examination?
>
> > http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/x/xorg-server/xserver-xorg-legacy_1.20.4-1_amd64.deb
>
> >> Or, which of the
> >> confusion of Debian's package management tools can show me detail of what's in the
> >> files it contains without bothering to download for physical inspection,
>
> > apt-file, probably.
>
> That question didn't get finished. apt-file list lists the files, but what I was
> after was what was in the contained files, most likely better addressed by
> examining the source.
>
> In this case I was expecting something relatively simple, like changing of
> permissions on /usr/bin/Xorg and/or a simple script, not a 14k binary.

My understanding of this would be that you can't modify the
permissions on /usr/bin/Xorg because two instances might be required
at the same time, one suid and one not. And you can't achieve suid
with a script because it's insecure (race condition and all that).
Which leaves a binary.

> >> or simply
> >> fetch without installing?
>
> > apt-get -d
>
> Again, thanks!

I thought it might be easier to email my copies (two architectures),
but if others also did that …

Cheers,
David.