Re: [SOLVED, kind of] Re: ext4: debugfs: icheck: Input/output error while calling ext2fs_block_iterate

On Sat, 28 Sep 2019 at 22:31, local10 <local10@tutanota.com> wrote:
> Sep 28, 2019, 02:06 by local10@tutanota.com:

> > Good advice, thanks. I have a backup drive which is almost a
> > mirror copy of the failing one, so that's why I am not very worried
> > about it. I'm going to try to fix it in a couple of days, so let's see
> > how it goes.

> So I forced fsck to run at reboot, it refused to run in the auto
> mode, dropped me into BusyBox and from there I could run fsck
> manually, pressing <yes> a couple of times telling fsck to ignore
> errors (that was the only option available to me in fsck other than
> quitting it). > After that fsck reported the filesystem clean.

It's great to hear that fsck seems happy with your filesystem.

Just for curiosity, I had a read of 'man e2fsck' and found this:
"""
If  e2fsck  is  run  in  interactive mode (meaning that none of
-y, -n, or -p are specified), the program will ask the user to fix
each problem found in the filesystem.  A response of 'y' will fix the
error; 'n' will leave the error unfixed; and 'a' will fix the problem
and all subsequent problems; pressing Enter will proceed with the
default response, which is printed before the question mark.
Pressing Control-C terminates e2fsck immediately.
"""
and also about the -p option, it does not give much detail in
the man page but a lot more information on -p is here:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/18526/what-does-fsck-p-preen-do-on-ext4

Having read that, I don't see any admission that fsck makes any
changes if run without any options as it seems you did. So I
wonder what caused the change in the debugfs message.

Perhaps the most likely guess is fsck did something to tidy up the
inodes or cause the drive to remap or somehow avoid the bad block.
Maybe someone who knows more will add to this conversation.

Personally I think if both smart and fsck are happy then I would
trust the filesystem. I have done a few repairs like this and never
had any subsequent problems, but it's worth keeping an eye on
future smart tests to see if any further errors appear on the drive.