Re: whereis/whatcontains xserver-xorg-legacy?

David Wright composed on 2019-09-27 23:55 (UTC-0500):

Thank you!

> On Sat 28 Sep 2019 at 00:19:00 (-0400), Felix Miata wrote:

>> apt search and aptitude search find it, but
>> http://archive.debian.org/debian/pool/main/x/ and
>> http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/x/ and
>> https://sources.debian.org/prefix/x/ either don't have it, or it's hidden from
>> view using a web browser.

> You want http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/x/xorg-server/

Yi, yi yi.

>> I tried installing it (in Buster), then examining it in /var/cache/apt/, but
>> xserver-xorg-legacy was nowhere to be found. What controls whether packages are
>> kept in the cache after installation?

> apt-get doesn't clean by default. apt/aptitude probably do.

Is there a way to choose the behavior other than typing apt-get instead of apt?

>> I know what the package does generally, but I want to examine the package's
>> content. What must I feed to wget to fetch it for examination?

> http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/x/xorg-server/xserver-xorg-legacy_1.20.4-1_amd64.deb

>> Or, which of the
>> confusion of Debian's package management tools can show me detail of what's in the
>> files it contains without bothering to download for physical inspection,

> apt-file, probably.

That question didn't get finished. apt-file list lists the files, but what I was
after was what was in the contained files, most likely better addressed by
examining the source.

In this case I was expecting something relatively simple, like changing of
permissions on /usr/bin/Xorg and/or a simple script, not a 14k binary.

>> or simply
>> fetch without installing?

> apt-get -d

Again, thanks!