Re: What is the location of the "depmod" program on your machine? vmware tools installation error

On Fri 06 Sep 2019 at 10:48:43 (-0600), Charles Curley wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Sep 2019 19:23:53 +0530
> Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > What is the location of the "depmod" program on your
> > machine? Use of uninitialized value $gOption{"default"} in numeric eq
> > (==) at ./vmware-install.pl line 866, <STDIN> line 1.
>
> The answer is, that depends.
>
> On a Debian 10 (buster) machine that was upgraded from Debian 9
> (stretch), it is at:
>
> root@hawk:~# which depmod
> /sbin/depmod
> root@hawk:~#
>
> On a freshly installed Debian 10, it is at:
>
> root@jhegaala:~# which depmod
> /usr/sbin/depmod
> root@jhegaala:~#
>

> According to the package, it should be at:
>
> root@hawk:~# apt-file search depmod | grep depmod$
> kmod: /sbin/depmod
> root@hawk:~#
>
> This is due to something called "merged usr", described at
> https://www.debian.org/releases/buster/amd64/release-notes/ch-whats-new.en.html#merged-usr
> Follow the link there for more explanation.
>
> This has hit the amanda packages, and I filed a bug,
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=939411 for that
> package. You might do the same for your package.

Bear in mind that depmod itself has been a symlink for quite a while.
Looking at jessie:

$ cat /etc/debian_version
8.11
$ ls -l /sbin/depmod
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Sep 27  2014 /sbin/depmod -> /bin/kmod
$ ls -l /bin/kmod
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 182036 Sep 27  2014 /bin/kmod
$

Cheers,
David.