Re: What is the location of the "depmod" program on your machine? vmware tools installation error

On Fri, 6 Sep 2019 13:47:19 -0500
David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> Bear in mind that depmod itself has been a symlink for quite a while.

And still is. However, if the symlink you're expecting isn't there...

Fresh install:

root@jhegaala:~# ll /sbin/depmod /usr/sbin/depmod
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Feb  9  2019 /sbin/depmod -> /bin/kmod*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Feb  9  2019 /usr/sbin/depmod -> /bin/kmod*
root@jhegaala:~#

Upgraded:

root@hawk:~# ll /sbin/depmod /usr/sbin/depmod
ls: cannot access '/usr/sbin/depmod': No such file or directory
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Feb  9  2019 /sbin/depmod -> /bin/kmod*
root@hawk:~#

Going back to the OP, it appears he has the option to supply the full
path to depmod; perhaps he should try that.

--
"When we talk of civilization, we are too apt to limit the meaning of
the word to its mere embellishments, such as arts and sciences; but