Re: What is the location of the "depmod" program on your machine? vmware tools installation error

On Fri, 6 Sep 2019 19:23:53 +0530
Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:

> What is the location of the "depmod" program on your
> machine? Use of uninitialized value $gOption{"default"} in numeric eq
> (==) at ./vmware-install.pl line 866, <STDIN> line 1.

The answer is, that depends.

On a Debian 10 (buster) machine that was upgraded from Debian 9
(stretch), it is at:

root@hawk:~# which depmod
/sbin/depmod
root@hawk:~#

On a freshly installed Debian 10, it is at:

root@jhegaala:~# which depmod
/usr/sbin/depmod
root@jhegaala:~#

According to the package, it should be at:

root@hawk:~# apt-file search depmod | grep depmod$
kmod: /sbin/depmod
root@hawk:~#

This is due to something called "merged usr", described at
https://www.debian.org/releases/buster/amd64/release-notes/ch-whats-new.en.html#merged-usr
Follow the link there for more explanation.

This has hit the amanda packages, and I filed a bug,
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=939411 for that
package. You might do the same for your package.

--
"When we talk of civilization, we are too apt to limit the meaning of
the word to its mere embellishments, such as arts and sciences; but