Re: usr merge apparently breaks amanda

On Fri, Sep 06, 2019 at 05:52:15PM +0200, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> Le 06/09/2019 à 16:39, Gene Heskett a écrit :
> > On Friday 06 September 2019 10:20:14 Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > >
> > > I could very easily see amanda itself breaking from usrmerge, if it
> > > contains programs that try to invoke commands using their full paths
> > > (e.g. /bin/rm -f ...).
>
> Why would that break ? Old paths are still valid, this is the purpose of the
> symlinks.
>
> Before usr merge :
> /bin/rm -> ok
> /usr/bin/rm -> ko
>
> After usr merge :
> /bin/rm -> ok
> /usr/bin/rm -> ok

I was too hasty in writing my example.  An actual example of something
that fails is a hard-coded /usr/bin/ command in a buster package, assuming
that usrmerge will be performed -- and it fails on systems that did *not*
perform it.

Nevertheless, if Gene were to present a logfile error with a pathname
and a "no such file or directory" message, or "command not found", or
something similar, that could be an indicator to look at usrmerge.

> Unless something is unable to follow symlinks.
> > FAILURE DUMP SUMMARY:
> >    picnc / lev 0  FAILED [data timeout]
> >    picnc / lev 0  FAILED [[request failed: No route to host]]
> >    picnc / lev 0  FAILED [dumper TRYAGAIN: [request failed: No route to
> > host]]
>
> This is a network error (ARP or NDP address resolution failure). I wonder
> what it has to do with usr merge.

Agreed.