Re: usr merge apparently breaks amanda

On Friday 06 September 2019 10:20:14 Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 06, 2019 at 10:06:39AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > I don't have a good reason to object to the usr merge, but its
> > causing amanda to crash the systems that have had this modification.
>
> This is the part where you show us the error messages from the log
> files that support your claims.
>
> Or, simply file a bug report, include said error messages in the bug
> report, and tell us here on debian-user the bug number, with a warning
> that other users may encounter the same issues if they perform the
> usrmerge step.
>
> > I am trying tonight, an exclude scheme that should stop the crashing
> > if indeed that is what is doing it. But if it works, that means your
> > 3 links to the old address will not be backed up either, so we need
> > a better idea. Open to suggestions.
>
> I suggest showing some DETAILS.
>
> I could very easily see amanda itself breaking from usrmerge, if it
> contains programs that try to invoke commands using their full paths
> (e.g. /bin/rm -f ...).  That would be a bug in amanda, easily
> diagnosed, and... maybe fixed, maybe not, Debian developers have a
> long history of not fixing things.
>
> But your claim that this causes the entire *system* to crash is an
> extraordinary assertion, which requires at least a TEENY TINY BIT of
> proof.

How about this snippet from the email received from amanda, for last
nights attempt by amanda to backup a debian-arm net install on an
rpi-3b?  It apparently killed the system with the first touch.

FAILURE DUMP SUMMARY:
  picnc / lev 0  FAILED [data timeout]
  picnc / lev 0  FAILED [[request failed: No route to host]]
  picnc / lev 0  FAILED [dumper TRYAGAIN: [request failed: No route to
host]]
  picnc /boot lev 0  FAILED [[request failed: No route to host]]
  picnc /boot lev 0  FAILED [dumper TRYAGAIN: [request failed: No route
to host]]
  picnc /boot lev 0  FAILED [[request failed: No route to host]]
  picnc /boot lev 0  FAILED [dumper TRYAGAIN: [request failed: No route
to host]]
  picnc /media/workpi1 lev 0  FAILED [[request failed: No route to host]]
  picnc /media/workpi1 lev 0  FAILED [dumper TRYAGAIN: [request failed:
No route to host]]
  picnc /media/workpi1 lev 0  FAILED [[request failed: No route to host]]
  picnc /media/workpi1 lev 0  FAILED [dumper TRYAGAIN: [request failed:
No route to host]]
  picnc /media/backuppi lev 0  FAILED [[request failed: No route to
host]]
  picnc /media/backuppi lev 0  FAILED [dumper TRYAGAIN: [request failed:
No route to host]]
  picnc /media/backuppi lev 0  FAILED [[request failed: No route to
host]]
  picnc /media/backuppi lev 0  FAILED [dumper TRYAGAIN: [request failed:
No route to host]]
  picnc /media/bootpi lev 0  FAILED [[request failed: No route to host]]
  picnc /media/bootpi lev 0  FAILED [dumper TRYAGAIN: [request failed: No
route to host]]
  picnc /media/bootpi lev 0  FAILED [[request failed: No route to host]]
  picnc /media/bootpi lev 0  FAILED [dumper TRYAGAIN: [request failed: No
route to host]]
  picnc /media/work120 lev 0  FAILED [[request failed: No route to host]]
  picnc /media/work120 lev 0  FAILED [dumper TRYAGAIN: [request failed:
No route to host]]
  picnc /media/work120 lev 0  FAILED [[request failed: No route to host]]
  picnc /media/work120 lev 0  FAILED [dumper TRYAGAIN: [request failed:
No route to host]]

It was running normally half an hour before the amanda run started.

I've now added excludes of ./bin, ./sbin, and ./lib and so that the /
entry in the disklist will skip them, and in turn added a full path/to
dle for each as separate disklist entry's, but that will result, if it
works, of missing the backup of the links themselves.  Other workarounds
and suggestions will be appreciated and checked.

Thank you for the civil reply.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis