Re: usr merge apparently breaks amanda

On Fri, Sep 06, 2019 at 10:06:39AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings all;
>
> I don't have a good reason to object to the usr merge, but its causing
> amanda to crash the systems that have had this modification.

This is the part where you show us the error messages from the log files
that support your claims.

Or, simply file a bug report, include said error messages in the bug
report, and tell us here on debian-user the bug number, with a warning
that other users may encounter the same issues if they perform the
usrmerge step.

> I am trying tonight, an exclude scheme that should stop the crashing if
> indeed that is what is doing it. But if it works, that means your 3
> links to the old address will not be backed up either, so we need a
> better idea. Open to suggestions.

I suggest showing some DETAILS.

I could very easily see amanda itself breaking from usrmerge, if it
contains programs that try to invoke commands using their full paths
(e.g. /bin/rm -f ...).  That would be a bug in amanda, easily diagnosed,
and... maybe fixed, maybe not, Debian developers have a long history
of not fixing things.

But your claim that this causes the entire *system* to crash is an
extraordinary assertion, which requires at least a TEENY TINY BIT of
proof.