Re: OT "x times cheaper", was: Re: Server hardware advice.

On 11/08/19 3:06 AM, David Wright wrote:
> On Sat 10 Aug 2019 at 21:19:31 (+1200), Richard Hector wrote:

>>> so what multiplied  by 2 gives 450?
>>>
>>> 450     is      100% or 1
>>> 225     is      50%  or 1/2
>>
>> Right, so 225 is 50% cheaper, or half cheaper. Not twice cheaper.
>>
>>> perhaps this is the confusion, cause we are using daily language to refer to
>>> maths.
>>
>> Daily language is the problem, yes. I'm not saying my fight is an easy
>> one :-)
>>
>>> In fact I would do it the other way around.
>>>
>>> initial price   x
>>> 1xtime          x+(1*x)
>>> 2xtimes         x+(2*x)
>>>
>>> this gives x=150
>>
>> 450 is two times more expensive than 150 (or 200% more than), or three
>> times as expensive as 150 (or 300% as expensive).
>> 300 is two times as expensive as 150, or 100% more expensive than 150
>>
>> We know that these don't work symmetrically; if you have a 50% discount,
>> you can't get the original price back by adding 50%, because it's 50% of
>> a different number.
>
> "Expensive" is a dimensional term, like length and time. "Cheap" is in
> a different category, like shortness. A 6-inch nail is twice as long
> as a 3-inch nail, but one doesn't say the latter is twice as short.

Agreed. I prefer to avoid multipliers with inverted dimension terms like
that.

> But if someone asked for a nail twice as short as this (holding up a
> 6-inch nail), you might assume they were a non-native speaker of
> English, or you might notice you're almost twice as tall as they are:
> ie it's a child. (And it would be polite to offer them a 3-inch
> nail. Learning all the categories takes time, and some people might
> have slightly different boundaries.)

I wouldn't assume that; it's a common usage, even though I consider it
wrong :-)  A bit like the American habit of saying "I could care less",
which also doesn't mean what they mean it to mean :-)

> It's pretty obvious that Reco's meaning for cheapness was meant to be
> understood as a reciprocal cost and not as a discount. It might be a
> legitimate idiom in some parts; who knows.

Agreed. And many would consider it a 'legitimate idiom'. I personally
consider that from a linguistic and mathematical perspective, it doesn't
make sense.

> One hears stories of pedants insisting they be paid to carry goods out
> of the shop because they were labelled "10x cheaper". No way José.

I haven't actually insisted on that, but I've certainly thought it :-)

Similarly, one of our local fuel stations has (or had) vouchers that say
things like '10c per litre off every litre of fuel' - which also quickly
gets into trouble if taken literally :-)

Richard