Re: Buster Mate: how to set default user nae

Tixy, on 2019-08-10:
> On Sat, 2019-08-10 at 11:28 -0700, Peter Ehlert wrote:
> > On 8/10/19 7:52 AM, Tom Browder wrote:
> > > In an older version of debian (7 or so) I had my system set so the
> > > login screen would show my user name as the default.
> > >
> > > That went away after some version upgrade or reinstall and I've
> > > silently grumbled about it ever since (especially when I inadvertently
> > > flash part of my password as my muscle memory has me entering it in
> > > the blank user name slot!).

Good day,

In Debian 7, Mate desktop was not yet officially available
IIRC, so the default greeter was most likely gdm3.  I see in
Debian 10 that Mate desktop depends on lightdm, which is
different greeter.  The default behaviour of lightdm is to hide
available user logins on the machine, in order to avoid leaking
this information in situations where the location of the machine
is untrusted.

> > you can edit lightdm.conf/lightdm.conf
> Do you mean /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf ?

Pointing to this file was the right direction.  However, on the
variables side, may I suggest to search for the character string
"greeter-hide-users" definition, uncomment it in place, and set
its value to "False"?

There is also something that has bitten my hand, as this was a
bit different in previous Debian releases.  In the new version
of the default configuration file, the "[Seat:*]" paragraph
header is commented, so just de-commenting the configuration
option is not efficient any more, you also have to put the header
back.  In the end, the paragraph might look like:

	# blablabla
	[Seat:*]
	# blblbl
	# [...]
	greeter-hide-users = False
	# blblbl

You may have to type in your login one last time, so that the
greeter knows which one(s) to print.

I hope this helps,
Kind regards,
--
Étienne Mollier <etienne.mollier@mailoo.org>
               5ab1 4edf 63bb ccff 8b54 2fa9 59da 56fe fff3 882d