Re: WiFi interface unexpected response

On Wed, 7 Aug 2019 09:48:03 +0300
Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Ma, 06 aug 19, 18:13:02, zetam.imap wrote:
> >
> > > Why do you need this if you configure wpa in /etc/network/interfaces?
> >
> > Normally the wireless interface is activated when a user accesses their
> > account on the graphical interface.
> > This host has to perform unattended tasks on that network even if no
> > user is logged in.
>
> Let me rephrase that: why do you need *both* /etc/network/interfaces and
> wpa_supplicant.conf?

I wondered this, too.  But every doc, wiki or article I read about
manually setting up wireless with encryption said that's the way you
do it.  However, just to find out, I commented out the network stanza
for my USB wireless dongle in wpa_supplicant.conf, and rebooted.
Wireless works fine just with the basic info
from /etc/network/interfaces. Only thing left not commented out in
wpa_supplicant.conf is the config to enable wpa_cli, which doesn't run
by default.

FWIW: My system, a box under the desk, not a laptop, is very basic with
an atypical install of Stretch -- window manager only, sysvinit, no
wired Ethernet -- built part by part from a terminal-only install. Boots
to terminal, login there, then startx to bring up GUI.