Re: virt-manager (was Re: Virtual Box)

On 2019-08-06 at 11:29, Curt wrote:

> On 2019-08-06, The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
>> I tried this out myself recently, but couldn't get it to work; it
>> reports that "libvirtd is installed but not running".
>>
>> As far as I can tell, the problem boils down to the fact that I
>> refuse to have libpam-systemd installed, which means that I can't
>> install policykit-1, which means that I can't install
>> libvirt-daemon-system, which means libvirtd doesn't get run
>> automatically.
>
> There's actually a bug report concerning this:

Interesting. How'd you find that? It didn't crop up in my searches based
on the error messages I was seeing.

The parts of the discussion in that bug report which took place this
year led me to

which was filed by Ian Jackson, and seems - in its way - even more on
point.

> Paul Floyd at the bottom hacked his way to a crude (well) solution
> by modifying the dependency in /var/lib/dpkg/status on "policykit-1"
> to "policykit-1 | sysvinit-core," which allowed him to install
> libvirt-daemon-system.

Which seems to bear out Ian's allegation, in #897936, that "It works
just fine without policykit-1.".

It's not a sustainable or really appropriate solution, given that it
will break and have to be re-done (either by way of some complicated
dance of installing and removing packages, or by manual local package
build) every time a new package version gets released, but it would at
least bypass the issue.

--
   The Wanderer