Re: virt-manager (was Re: Virtual Box)

On 2019-08-06, The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> I tried this out myself recently, but couldn't get it to work; it
> reports that "libvirtd is installed but not running".
>
> As far as I can tell, the problem boils down to the fact that I refuse
> to have libpam-systemd installed, which means that I can't install
> policykit-1, which means that I can't install libvirt-daemon-system,
> which means libvirtd doesn't get run automatically.

There's actually a bug report concerning this:

Paul Floyd at the bottom hacked his way to a crude (well) solution by
modifying the dependency in /var/lib/dpkg/status on "policykit-1" to
"policykit-1 | sysvinit-core," which allowed him to install
libvirt-daemon-system.

--
“We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.”
― Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan