virt-manager (was Re: Virtual Box)

On 2019-08-06 at 02:18, Keith Bainbridge wrote:

> On 3/8/19 3:39 am, Etienne Mollier wrote:
>
>> Since you are coming from the VirtualBox world, I would suggest to
>> check out the package "virt-manager" which provides a GUI allowing
>> to drive your KVM virtual machines.  You may find more details
>> about this program on its homepage:
>>
>> https://virt-manager.org/
>

> Thanks Etienne
>
> I have looked at kvm/qmeu a few times but balked at the process. This
>  suggestion has made it viable.
>
> Thank you.

I tried this out myself recently, but couldn't get it to work; it
reports that "libvirtd is installed but not running".

As far as I can tell, the problem boils down to the fact that I refuse
to have libpam-systemd installed, which means that I can't install
policykit-1, which means that I can't install libvirt-daemon-system,
which means libvirtd doesn't get run automatically.

I tried starting it by hand, as root, but it exits immediately because
the user 'libvirt-qemu' does not exist; that's apparently expected
behavior, and that user is supposed to be created and set up
appropriately by libvirt-daemon-system; see bug #768000.

The documentation seems to indicate that it's supposed to be possible to
run the daemon as non-root, and indeed I've been able to start it that
way; however, virt-manager doesn't seem to see the daemon when it's run
that way. (I don't remember how, but I tracked down something which
seems to indicate that it's checking explicitly for the existence of the
PID file under /run or /var/run, and of course when running as an
ordinary user the PID file gets created under $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR instead
because non-root can't write to /run/.)

I tried specifying explicit connection URLs via File -> Add Connection,
as suggested in the error message (presumably for cases where the daemon
to connect to is running on a different computer), but all I managed to
get was errors indicating that it hadn't found anything to connect to.

Has anyone managed to get virt-manager working on Debian without the
libvirt-daemon-system package installed?

(I suspect that trying to report the failure to work without
libpam-systemd present as a bug would be dismissed on the grounds that
trefusing to have that installed is an excessively idiosyncratic
configuration which it's not reasonable to expect the maintainers to
have to support.)

--
   The Wanderer