Re: x and virtual consoles

On 2019-08-05 09:57-0000, Curt wrote:
> On 2019-08-04, Ed <ed-debian@s5h.net> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > For years I would happily ctrl-alt-f<1-6> for an additional x.org
> > session by running 'startx' and another window manager. Until now-ish.
> >
> > What I have observed is that x sessions started from a text console can
> > cooperate with each other, it seems limited to lightdm/gdm logins only.
>
> Is this related to this (I can't really understand what you're saying
> here, actually, though everybody else seems to, but what the hell):
>
> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/46655

This is seems to be a bug for gnome-terminal, not the x session. But the
log looks a little familiar.

> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2017/10/msg00603.html

This is similar, but not quite as raw as what I experience. I don't have
to exit one of the x sessions, only start x from tty1 and the greeter
spawned x will crash.

However, starting an x session on tty1 and then log in on tty2 as
another user, I can happily switch between tty1 and tty2.

I'll get a log from x tomorrow. I keep wondering if it is down to the
'-novtswitch' option added to xorg by lightdm. However, these steps at
the top of the thread will reproduce in a qemu vm, and that uses gdm,
maybe systemd does something weird with vt7?

--
Best regards,
Ed http://www.s5h.net/