Re: Shimming HTTP to HTTPS.

On Mon 29 Jul 2019 at 09:22:24 (+0300), Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Du, 28 iul 19, 19:40:04, David Wright wrote:
> >
> > The link itself is a URL as usual. For the message I'm replying to
> > now, the Message-ID is <[🔎] E1hrlrN-0002IM-Cf@joule.invalid> and the
> > corresponding link³ on the web page (under the magnifier) is
> > [🔎] E1hrlrN-0002IM-Cf@joule.invalid">https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/[🔎] E1hrlrN-0002IM-Cf@joule.invalid
>
> [...]
>
> > ³ I must admit that I've never discovered a use for that style of link:
> >   the https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2019/07/msg01334.html URL
> >   seems much more useful for citations in posts.
>
> One can construct the link just with information available in the mail
> to be referenced, including off-line and possibly even in advance if one
> can convince the mail client to generate the Msg-ID before sending.

I suppose I can see that that might be useful in some circumstances.
But even so, it seems an odd way to present them on the web page,
*inside* the <> of the Message-ID/In-Reply-To/References. While
admitting that the post displayed on the web is not *actually* an
email, I would say that inserting extraneous junk between the <>
characters goes against the spirit of RFC2822:

3.6.4. Identification fields

   Though optional, every message SHOULD have a "Message-ID:" field.
   Furthermore, reply messages SHOULD have "In-Reply-To:" and
   "References:" fields as appropriate, as described below.

   The "Message-ID:" field contains a single unique message identifier.
   The "References:" and "In-Reply-To:" field each contain one or more
   unique message identifiers, optionally separated by CFWS.

   The message identifier (msg-id) is similar in syntax to an angle-addr
   construct without the internal CFWS.
             ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑                             ← my addition

message-id      =       "Message-ID:" msg-id CRLF
in-reply-to     =       "In-Reply-To:" 1*msg-id CRLF
references      =       "References:" 1*msg-id CRLF
msg-id          =       [CFWS] "<" id-left "@" id-right ">" [CFWS]
id-left         =       dot-atom-text / no-fold-quote / obs-id-left
id-right        =       dot-atom-text / no-fold-literal / obs-id-right
no-fold-quote   =       DQUOTE *(qtext / quoted-pair) DQUOTE
no-fold-literal =       "[" *(dtext / quoted-pair) "]"

Why not put the link outside, say after, the <> and dress it up as a comment
(the C in CFWS).

Cheers,
David.