Re: Shimming HTTP to HTTPS.

On Sun 28 Jul 2019 at 09:17:21 (-0700), peter@easthope.ca wrote:
> Appears that the less-than and greater-than signs were replaced with
> the null character.  I'm not sure why but will try to prevent henceforth.
>
> The In-reply-to and References above should be right except that there
> is no magnifying glass link.  This is email.  Not HTML.

Yes, that's looking good, thanks.

The following scenario, where I write "you do this&that", is all
guesswork because it's not easy to divine exactly what you do
when you reply to a post.

You read postings on the web with a browser. When you want to reply,
you open a composition window and paste in the To/Cc/Subject headers
from the web page.¹

I can't determine what happens when you cut and paste the Message-ID
± References lines but I suspect the exotic characters may be
causing odd effects as you delete them. In particular, you may find
some terminals/editors miscalculate the position of the cursor,
displaying it on a neighbouring character.² (This may be why you
could think you deleted the NUL/magnifier, leaving the <, but
actually delete the <, leaving the NUL.)

You've mentioned "magnifying glass link" before, and I get the
impression that you think the magnifying glass *is* the link.
Actually it's just a symbol character enclosed in [], and needn't
appear on the page at all (because the [] characters are just as
good for clicking on).

The link itself is a URL as usual. For the message I'm replying to
now, the Message-ID is <[🔎] E1hrlrN-0002IM-Cf@joule.invalid> and the
corresponding link³ on the web page (under the magnifier) is
[🔎] E1hrlrN-0002IM-Cf@joule.invalid">https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/[🔎] E1hrlrN-0002IM-Cf@joule.invalid

But the point is that Message-ID:s, In-Reply-To:s and References:
in *emails* are not URLs, but <strings>, even though their text
is used to mark links on the web page.

Apologies if these guesses are off the mark.

¹ I had assumed you'd be cut-and-pasting from an email header, not
  the web page.

² Eg,  emacs -nw  in an xterm does this.

³ I must admit that I've never discovered a use for that style of link:
  the https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2019/07/msg01334.html URL
  seems much more useful for citations in posts.

Cheers,
David.