PROGRESS!! - was {Re: Wireless home LAN - WiFi vs Bluetooth?}

On 07/29/2019 10:51 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 07/29/2019 10:10 AM, Patrick Bartek wrote:
[snip]
Since your machines are very close together, take a look at USB to USB
networking.

Did ;} One of the first things I thought of as I date back days of everyone having multiple RS-232 null modems.
Unfortunately the one I ended up with was extremely Windows-centric.
My WinXP machine recognized it with no problem. Whatever version of Debian I was running at the time did not. The cardboard backing of the bubblepak it came in was sticking out of my Misc cubbyholes.

It's website [https://plugable.com/products/usb-easy-tran/] claims:
Linux kernels 3.0 and later support the cable as a high-speed
virtual network interface, but offer no special file transfer support.

Found cable.
Plugged in to two Debian 9.8 machines with MATE DE.
On both machines the Ethernet icon indicated it was attempting to connect.
Both correctly reported manufacturer and model.
One reported missing firmware.

I have an errand to run and will do a web search for firmware when I get back.

QUESTION:
What log file(s) should I be watching for diagnostic information?

I may have been still using Squeeze - skipped Wheezy and don't recall when I moved to Jessie. I'll search my junk boxes for the cable and see if I can make it work now.

Thanks for the reminder.