Re: sending mail via a script

On Thu 18 Jul 2019 at 08:27:47 (-0000), Curt wrote:
> On 2019-07-17, Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> Fibre is point-to-point, and any interference with it will cause a
> >> significant drop in received signal, which will be investigated.
> >
> > And it will be located swiftly, thanks to time-domain
> > reflectrometry:
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_time-domain_reflectometer
> >
> I don't know, man.
>
> http://www.fods.com/optic_clip_on_coupler.html
> https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/edward-snowden-cyber-espionage-fiber-optic-tapping-jabulani-dhliwayo
>
>  Once an attacker gains access to bare fiber on the victim’s network, he can
>  clamp the tool and collect enough detectable optical power without inducing
>  enough loss in the network to alert the network administrators. The stolen
>  light is detected, converted from optics to electrical pulses using an E-O
>  converter and then analyzed using suitable network analysis software.
>  Wireshark, free software typically used by network administrators for
>  troubleshooting, is used to view contents of transmitted packets.

As usual, quotations have been beheaded and context lost:

  On Wed, 17 Jul 2019 21:50:47 +0100 mick crane <mick.crane@gmail.com> wrote:
   "I have wondered about this, the actual infrastructure. I've
    noticed that the fiber optic cable is in places strung along with
    the electricity pylons. Presumably if you could somehow attach to
    that then you could be anybody?"

Does viewing give you the means of a MITM attack?

Cheers,
David.