Re: sending mail via a script

On Mon, 15 Jul 2019 09:07:05 -0400
Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:

> tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> > > Why do you think they have that requirement?
> >
> > Because their server says so. Quoting from this very thread [1]
>
> This is like answering "why do you think mother married father?"
> with "Because the marriage certificate is hanging on the wall."
>
> Did you and Reco both translate the question as a request for
> evidence? I would think that my next statement, which you both
> decided to drop from quoting, would correct that.

A mail server admin's choice of anti-spam measures can be fairly
arbitrary. My mail server does what it does 'because I say so'. I think
that was the point being made.

PTR records are nowhere near as useful as they used to be. Many
domestic users are given PTR records now, even if they are just some
derivative of the IP address, and many companies using email simply
outsource it. Some email services are run by people who don't know what
they are doing, so some legitimate business email arrives from addresses
without a complementary PTR-A record pair.

--
Joe