Re: sending mail via a script

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 06:21:28AM -0400, Dan Ritter wrote:
> Reco wrote:
> > 	Hi.
> >
> > On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 02:05:04PM -0400, Dan Ritter wrote:
> > >
> > > That's not a problem sending mail via a script; that's a problem with
> > > Google's view of the reputation of the mail server that you are using.
> > > (Which may be the machine that you are typing on, or might not.)
> > >
> > > In other words: you successfully sent mail, but Google rejected
> > > it because they think you are a spammer.
> >
> > No. Google rejected it because of the reason stated above.
> > I.e. MTA's IP does not have a valid PTR record. Not required by RFC per
> > se, but is considered mandatory by some (included Google).
>
> Why do you think they have that requirement?

Because their server says so. Quoting from this very thread [1]

  <<< 550-5.7.1 this message does not meet IPv6 sending guidelines regarding PTR
  <<< 550-5.7.1 records and authentication. Please review
  <<< 550-5.7.1  https://support.google.com/mail/?p=IPv6AuthError for more infor

And quoting from that Google link (eek, I clicked a Google link and
feel now... dirty):

    - The sending IP must have a PTR record (i.e. a reverse DNS
      of the sending IP) and match the IP obtained via the forward
      DNS resolution of the hostname specified in the PTR record.
    - The sending domain should pass either a SPF check or DKIM
      check.

So you need a PTR (for reverse name resolution) AND (SPF OR DKIM)
(so yeah, PTR alone ain't enough).

Cheers

[1] Message-ID: <[🔎] alpine.DEB.2.21.1907141813050.13978@pfr2.frenkiel-hure.net>

-- t