Re: Psychedelic GUI after stable update to buster

On 7/14/19 11:47 AM, Felix Miata wrote:
Cindy Sue Causey composed on 2019-07-14 06:47 (UTC-0400):

Psychedelic sounds fun as a user CHOICE. I was hoping for a
printscreen. That's odd that it printed normal. I'm trying to wrap my
head around the computer's logic of how that would happen.
Sounds like a coincidence of hardware failure at the time of the upgrade. Is that
APU/GPU sharing system RAM? If so, a reseat of RAM modules might be a solution,
and overnight memtest86 (not memtest86+) might be in order. Maybe it's time to
find some other display to try. And the newer kernel might want some specific
cmdline option to keep AMD happy, maybe iommu.
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/x86/x86_64/boot-options.txt

Easy to test: boot the system using a USB live distribution of some kind. If the video works, the problem is configuration. If the video fails identically,
problem is quite probably hardware.

--
Carl Fink                           nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Read my blog at blog.nitpicking.com.  Reviews!  Observations!