Re: Psychedelic GUI after stable update to buster

>>> What display/monitor do you use? Do you connect it using HDMI cable?
>>> I remember another list user was asking same question with identical
>>> symptoms sometime ago.
>>>
>>> --
>>> With kindest regards, Alexander.
>>>
>> Thanks -- the brand is AOC, connected via VGA cable, there's a DVI port
>> on
>> the card but no HDMI one.  (If I plug an HDMI converter in via USB,
>> would
>> that work?)
>>
> This is the original thread I was talking about. [1]
> See if there are any pointers that could resolve your issue.
>
> Personally, I don't have much experience with AMD graphics (which is
> sadly notorious for lacking good support on Linux), but
> I would try to use different AMD drivers (use "AMDGPU" instead of
> "radeon" or vice versa).
> You can check what driver you currently using with this command:
>     $ inxi -Gxxxz
>
> [1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2017/12/msg00203.html
>
> --
> With kindest regards, Alexander.

Thanks for the tip.  Looks like a lot of information here but I don't
really understand it.  Xorg seems to have unloaded the radeon driver...?

Graphics:  Device-1: AMD Kaveri [Radeon R7 Graphics] vendor: ASUSTeK
driver: N/A
           bus ID: 00:01.0 chip ID: 1002:130f
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: ati,vesa
           unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,radeon resolution: 1600x900~N/A
           OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 7.0 128 bits) v: 3.3 Mesa 18.3.6
           compat-v: 3.1 direct render: Yes

Where would I find "AMDGPU" and how would I get Xorg to use it?