Re: Psychedelic GUI after stable update to buster

On 7/14/19, Alexander V. Makartsev <avbetev@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 14.07.2019 4:20, Felix Miata wrote:
>> hobie@rumormillnews.com composed on 2019-07-13 18:07 (UTC-0400):
>>
>>> Where would I find "AMDGPU" and how would I get Xorg to use it?
>> These should cover it:
>> apt purge xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-radeon
>> apt install xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu firmware-amd-graphics
> To install "firmware-amd-graphics" package is a good suggestion.
> But chances are high that removal of *-ati and *-radeon packages will
> also remove Desktop Environment, because those packages are part of
> "xserver-xorg-video-all" package.
> I'd suggest a less radical approach and simply "tell" the system what
> driver to use via modprobe config files. [1]
>

> [1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU

That page has a section titled "Specify the correct module order". I
don't think I can remember ever reading of the ability to do that so
I'm highlighting in case it helps anyone else. That's nice to know.

When I read you saying removal might snag Desktop Environment,
potential for module competition conflict due to the race to load
everything FAST at bootup came to mind. The ability to specify module
order would help take care of that.

PS I also encountered "libdrm-amdgpu1" via "apt-cache search" while
lurking along here. Am highlighting in case it either helps or needs a
"NO, don't ever try that if you don't have to" review.

Psychedelic sounds fun as a user CHOICE. I was hoping for a
printscreen. That's odd that it printed normal. I'm trying to wrap my
head around the computer's logic of how that would happen.

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with birdseed *