Re: Psychedelic GUI after stable update to buster

On 14.07.2019 4:20, Felix Miata wrote:
hobie@rumormillnews.com composed on 2019-07-13 18:07 (UTC-0400):

Thanks for the tip.  Looks like a lot of information here but I don't
really understand it.  Xorg seems to have unloaded the radeon driver...?

Graphics:  Device-1: AMD Kaveri [Radeon R7 Graphics] vendor: ASUSTeK
driver: N/A
           bus ID: 00:01.0 chip ID: 1002:130f
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: ati,vesa
           unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,radeon resolution: 1600x900~N/A
           OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 7.0 128 bits) v: 3.3 Mesa 18.3.6
           compat-v: 3.1 direct render: Yes

Where would I find "AMDGPU" and how would I get Xorg to use it?
These should cover it:
apt purge xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-radeon
apt install xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu firmware-amd-graphics
To install "firmware-amd-graphics" package is a good suggestion.
But chances are high that removal of *-ati and *-radeon packages will also remove Desktop Environment, because those packages are part of "xserver-xorg-video-all" package.
I'd suggest a less radical approach and simply "tell" the system what driver to use via modprobe config files. [1]

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU

--
With kindest regards, Alexander.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀