Re: Assorted arm-buster problems - network configuration

On Vi, 05 iul 19, 06:35:53, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Thursday 04 July 2019 23:54:21 andreimpopescu@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > Just the fact that you are running Raspbian instead of pure Debian is
> > already an important clue and possibly a major hindrance in helping
> > you (we don't know what other customizations have been done to that).
> >
> Humm, someplace, in the last week, I read on a debian site, that raspian
> was the officially supported armhf version of debian ???  Or was that my
> imagination, out to play without a chaperone?

The clue is in the name: if it's not Debian it's not called Debian.

Raspbian was initially created because Debian's armhf port did not work
on the Raspberry Pi model B. It was basically just recompiling official
Debian packages to work on the Raspberry Pi.

Various parties started creating images based on Raspbian, including the
Raspberry Pi foundation. What *other* changes they did to those images
one can only guess.

This is the same with all other images provided by various projects
and/or manufacturers and/or community members.

I've seen customizations starting from changing the default bash prompt
up to proprietary kernels (with serious security bugs) and libraries, or
custom scripts to resize your partitions and configure your network.

It was a very happy moment for me when I could use pure Debian on my
Pine A64 ;)

Kind regards,
Andrei