Re: Assorted arm-buster problems - network configuration

On Thursday 04 July 2019 03:16:31 andreimpopescu@gmail.com wrote:

> On Mi, 03 iul 19, 21:03:19, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Wednesday 03 July 2019 16:12:31 Reco wrote:
> >
> > And Gene moved. Question unanswered yet.
> >
> > > 	Hi.

> It's not necessarily avahi doing that. A DHCP client might also
> configure a 169.254.*.* address for you if it doesn't receive a reply.
>
> In order to have the slightest chance of helping you it is necessary
> for you to provide the information as per below.
>
> Files should preferably be attached, to avoid issues with copy-paste.
>
> Please do not edit anything except to obscure private information
> (e.g. passwords or a public IP you don't want to post).

I have restarted ssh, so now thats working and I'm logged in.  I will use
copy/paste but I'll do word wrapping by hand.

> 1. content of /etc/network/interfaces and all files under
> /etc/network/interfaces.d/
pi@picnc:~ $ cat /etc/network/interfaces.d/*
auto eth0

iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.71.12/24
gateway 192.168.71.1
post-up echo 1 > /proc/sysy/ipv6/conf/$IFACE/disable_ipv6

Which the last line disables ipv6  on this machines mostly stretch install.

> (I seem to recall you are using ifupdown)
What ever works. More often than not, a reboot.  But if I reboot it from
here, I'll have to go to that machine and restart ssh, so lets start
with fixing that.

> 2. Full output of:
> apt list --installed 'network-manager*' # might be empty
pi@picnc:~ $ sudo apt list --installed 'network-manager*'
Listing... Done

> apt list --installed 'avahi*' # might be empty
pi@picnc:~ $ sudo apt list --installed 'avahi*'
Listing... Done
avahi-daemon/testing,now 0.7-4+b1 armhf [installed]

> systemctl status systemd-networkd
pi@picnc:~ $ sudo systemctl status systemd-networkd
● systemd-networkd.service - Network Service
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/systemd-networkd.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: inactive (dead)
     Docs: man:systemd-networkd.service(8)

> ip a # short for 'ip address'
pi@picnc:~ $ ip a
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    inet6 ::1/128 scope host
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether b8:27:eb:d3:47:2d brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 192.168.71.12/24 brd 192.168.71.255 scope global eth0
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    inet 169.254.163.253/16 brd 169.254.255.255 scope global noprefixroute eth0
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    inet6 fe80::1445:918c:cf73:6a79/64 scope link
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
3: wlan0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state DOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/ether b8:27:eb:86:12:78 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

> ip r # short for 'ip route'
pi@picnc:~ $ ip r
default dev eth0 scope link src 169.254.163.253 metric 202
169.254.0.0/16 dev eth0 scope link src 169.254.163.253 metric 202
192.168.71.0/24 dev eth0 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.71.12

> 3. Information on anything (and I do mean anything) else you might
> have done to your network configuration after installing buster,
> including but not limited to:
>  * installing stuff, especially if from source
>  * removing stuff (especially if not 'purged', dpkg -l would tell)
>  * manual changes to files (deletions/permissions/etc.
>  (especially those unnecessary "fixes" you call "neutering")
>
> For the record/archives: other users are not seeing your problems.
>
> Buster is - at least for me - the best Debian release yet.
>
> The problems you are seeing are, at least partially, of your own
> doing, most likely due to wrong configuration and an approach of using
> the equivalent of a shotgun to kill a fly and then complaining your
> walls are full of holes.

Since we are dealing in hyperbole, I do own a shotgun, but for fly's I'd
use a 6.5 creedmore, the hole is about the size of the fly and will
usually have blood-stained edges.

I actually bet and won a 6 pack of beer doing that at 100 meters with
an Ackley-06 I'd built in the middle '60's but to settle the bet we had
to walk out to the target to verify the blood-stains. That however was
40 years and two worn out barrels ago, the last one I put in it is a
30" SS medium Palma profile Bartlien, (heavy!) cut rifling barrel I
chambered for 6.5 creedmoor.

Quite a bit easier on the old mans shoulder on the bench but not to
carry afield it as it brought the weight with a good scope mounted
up to the 20 lb area.

Not sure I could see or hold steady enough to do it again today. I've
reached that age where I don't even make the brag that I'm as good once
as I ever was anymore.

Anyway, maybe theres a clue in the above pastes.

;-)

> Kind regards,
> Andrei

Thank you Andrei.