Re: Assorted arm-buster problems - network configuration

On Mi, 03 iul 19, 21:03:19, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 July 2019 16:12:31 Reco wrote:
>
> And Gene moved. Question unanswered yet.
> > 	Hi.
> >
> > On Wed, Jul 03, 2019 at 02:57:35PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > Regardless of what I do, I cannot get rid of the avahi junk in an ip
> > > a report, so my local 192.168.xx.nn/24 net is the only thing that
> > > works. pinging a net name like yahoo.com gets me a successful
> > > address. But no response from yahoo because its sending the ping
> > > from an avahi based address, which since thats outside of my /24
> > > netmask, doesn't get thru the router.
> > >
> > > So, how do I get rid of the avahi stuff?
> > >
> > > I've a nominally 10 machine 192.168.nn.xx that is 100% static based
> > > on host files so I want avahi absolutely and totally neutered,
> > > emasculated, gone Forever plus 100 years at least.
> > >
> > > How can I do that?

It's not necessarily avahi doing that. A DHCP client might also
configure a 169.254.*.* address for you if it doesn't receive a reply.

In order to have the slightest chance of helping you it is necessary for
you to provide the information as per below.

Files should preferably be attached, to avoid issues with copy-paste.

Please do not edit anything except to obscure private information (e.g.
passwords or a public IP you don't want to post).

1. content of /etc/network/interfaces and all files under
/etc/network/interfaces.d/

(I seem to recall you are using ifupdown)

2. Full output of:
apt list --installed 'network-manager*' # might be empty
apt list --installed 'avahi*' # might be empty
systemctl status systemd-networkd
ip a # short for 'ip address'
ip r # short for 'ip route'

3. Information on anything (and I do mean anything) else you might have
done to your network configuration after installing buster, including
but not limited to:
 * installing stuff, especially if from source
 * removing stuff (especially if not 'purged', dpkg -l would tell)
 * manual changes to files (deletions/permissions/etc.
 (especially those unnecessary "fixes" you call "neutering")

For the record/archives: other users are not seeing your problems.

Buster is - at least for me - the best Debian release yet.

The problems you are seeing are, at least partially, of your own doing,
most likely due to wrong configuration and an approach of using the
equivalent of a shotgun to kill a fly and then complaining your walls
are full of holes.

Kind regards,
Andrei