Re: Assorted arm-buster problems - network configuration

On Thursday 04 July 2019 16:44:14 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 04, 2019 at 09:42:11PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> > On Thu 04 Jul 2019 at 22:05:09 +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > > As always, all generalizations suck. Some do avahi, others don't
> > > (full disclosure: I am in the "don't" camp, as many may have
> > > guessed :-)
> >
> > If nobody objects I would like to reword that statement. Many, many
> > users will have avahi-daemon on their systems; a few won't. The idea
> > that
> >
> >   > Not installing this software in the first place works even
> >   > better.
> >
> > requires clarification.
>
> Clever move :-)
>
> Cheers
> -- t

Just one problem when dealing with an armhf or arm64 that u-boots.  Short
of writing the image to the u-sd, then mounting it and editing that
image to delete the stuff, which is how I will do the next image I burn,
there is with the present method of assembling that image, no way to
prevent its installation. That build script needs a user usable editor.
But I've no clue if that script has ever been publicly shared.

I will be very interested in the armbian release, which apparently uses
xfce4, but I've not noted that they have an image for the armhf's.  The
arm64 version running on a 4Gig rock64 is very impressive, at least 10x
faster than the pi. And so far stable.  I only know of one app that will
crash it, amanda, the backup program.  When the server touches it to get
an estimate, it locks up tight till a powerdown reboot.  Stretch
version.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis