Re: armv7 vs buster problem #3

On Wednesday 03 July 2019 18:06:18 John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

> Hi Gene!
>
> On 7/3/19 10:42 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Just one of the things its taken over. Now we have a different
> > command to set the hostname too if you want it to stick over a
> > reboot.  Someone a couple weeks ago showed me how to do that for
> > hostname only. I've no clue how it does that because it can do it
> > even if /etc/hostname has been made immutable. In fact I'd call that
> > a major security breech.
>
> Could you move this discussion over to the debian-user mailing list?
> As already mentioned by Reco earlier, those questions aren't specific
> to ARM.
>
> As for systemd and related stuff, I would recommend reading through
> the documentation a bit which explains a lot of these things. I think
> you will make faster progress by understanding the concepts rather
> than asking for every single problem you are running into.
>
> Regarding why systemd has its own hostname command is simple: The
> original Unix hostname command doesn't set the hostname persistently
> (you had write the file yourself)

Six of one, half dozen of the other. In the former case eeryone knew you
had to call up nano and edit the hostname into /etc/hostname.  Now we
have a new method that isn't even fixed by a reboot according to sudo.
And whats the hands down most popular command in the day or so it takes
ti sort the basket of rattlesnakes the installer hands you ? sudo of
course.

> and you had to reboot the machine to
> make sure the new hostname was propagated everywhere across the system
> (after writing the file) which is no longer the case with systemd
> where these changes are propagated using dbus which the old hostname
> command didn't support [1].
>
> The new systemd hostnamectl makes sure other processes are immediately
> notified if the hostname gets changed and I think that's something
> reasonable to expect.

IF, note all caps, then why does sudo bitch so much?

> With the old approach, it could happen that
> after issuing the hostname command to rename the host, that some
> processes still saw the old hostname, so the system got into an
> inconsistent state.
>
> In most cases where systemd provides its own solution for a certain
> feature, there are actually pretty good technical reasons why that was
> done. In most cases, it was necessary because the old Unix version of
> a command was rather limited in functionality or had certain design
> problems.

If it is supposed to tell everything that the hostname has changed, it
has a huge bug because it didn't tell sudo.
> Adrian
>
> > [1]

https://blog.fpmurphy.com/2014/10/revisiting-the-systemd-d-bus-interface.html

Cheers, Gene Heskett