Oldest Usable x86 CPU for Stretch (Was: Choice of VMs under i386 Stretch?)

On 7/3/19 10:20 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> That said I do not believe that any existing i386 32-bit-only hardware
>> that is still floating around even supports the virtual machine
>> extensions necessary to run a true VM host.
>
> I haven't use qemu on my 32bit only i686 machines recently, but I see no
> reason why it wouldn't work any more.

You know, this got me thinking. What *is* the oldest 32-bit x86 CPU that
we can use in Stretch for a VM host? And assuming we are talking
out-of-the-box experience, ie I download a standard ISO and fire it up.

And to be honest, I don't know. Debian seems to support as old as the
Pentium Pro, but I'm not sure what compiler flags that we use, ie what
CPU extensions are required. I remember a couple of years ago I had to
dig up a very old version of Puppy Linux (with a very old Kernel
version) to run an AMD K6-2 laptop because of missing CPU extensions. So
I'm wondering if the kernel that ships with Debian is the same.

Any ideas?

Note: I don't care about the practicality of this.

-Matt