Re: How to have password shown?

On Wed, Jul 03, 2019 at 01:34:00PM +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> Jonas Smedegaard <jonas@jones.dk> writes:
>
> > Quoting Rodolfo Medina (2019-07-03 14:42:13)
> >>

> >> Thanks...  of course it is...  absolutely.  I wanted to have him accustomed
> >> with using a password...  only, he still does many errors at keyboard...
> >
> > I think I understand the scope of this challenge.
> >
> > Would it be sensible for your case to a) use a 3-4 character password
> > coupled with a PAM plugin that checks for the presence of a USB key
> > containing some unique file?
> >
> > That would keep the notion of typing a password for logging in, while
> > being simpler to type, sidestepping the lower security by a secondary
> > check which (at leat for some) would not be a too weird addition).
>

> Thanks indeed...  He will do...  making errors in typing a blind password and
> re-typing it again and again till it's all right...  ;-)

You can set the paasword to empty:

  sudo passwd -d <his user name>

Then, he'd just have to enter his user name and is logged in
without any password typing.

That said, you might want to disable ssh logins for that user
(otherwise, anyone could log in remotely with ease -- use another
user to log in remotely, if you need, or even better, use a key
pair). Likewise, it might be advisable to disable sudo for this
account. See [1], [2]

Cheers

[1] https://stackoverflow.com/questions/11700690/how-do-i-completely-remove-root-password
[2] https://askubuntu.com/questions/281074/can-i-set-my-user-account-to-have-no-password