Re: ncurses?

On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 8:30:04 PM UTC-4, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> Try running script if the system is already installed then run each of
> the problem commands then type exit.  You'll get a file called
> typescript which is ansi text that probably will get through the spam
> filters if you include it in the body of your message and do not attach
> it.  If the ansi can be cleaned out of typescript the reading will be
> cleaner and the file a little shorter.
>
> On Tue, 2 Jul 2019, ghe wrote:
> > I asked for help with this a few days ago and attached a screenshot to
> > show what my problem is. There've been no replies -- I guess graphics
> > are caught by a spam filter somewhere.
> >
> > The problem is that, on sbox, alsamixer and aptitude are badly displayed
> > -- alsamixer so bad that it's not usable. The vertical lines in
> > alsamixer are broken into pieces and the pieces are offset a quarter of
> > an inch or so. The horizontals aren't broken, but their positions are
> > offset like the vertical pieces. Some of them.

Actually stripping the "ansi" out of the "typescript" file makes it hard to see what's going on (I don't see OP's screenshot).  Whether and how ncurses does line-drawing depends on the TERM variable and the locale variables -- and how well it works depends on the actual terminal (program...).

Lynx doesn't do much with line-drawing, except in menus (such as in the Options screen).

If you have a "typescript", sending that as an attachment for discussion on the bug-ncurses mailing list will get more response than to debian-user.