Re: Boot Problem

On Sun, 16 Jun 2019, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:

> On 06/16/2019 12:16 PM, bw wrote:
> > > Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D. says...
> > > I have just installed a new SSD in my 64 bit Stretch platform.
> > >
> > > When I boot the machine I get the following error:
> > >
> > > error: file '/boot/grub/i386-pc/normalmod' not found
> > > Entering rescue mode .. . .
> > > grub rescue>_
> > >
> > > Pressing Contro-Alt-Delete reboots the system. Pressing Delete , or
> > > F-8,during the post opens the ASUS UFEI Bios Utility - EZ mode (actually,
> > > F-8 opens the boot selection).
> > >
> > > Clicking  on P0 boots the machine normally.
> > Since the machine boots normally when you select P0 then why
> > not just use ASUS UFEI Bios Utility to set that as default?
> >
> > Since the new drive has a filesystem, I'd say you did more than just
> > install it?  Drive/Boot order is nothing to take lightly, if you set grub
> > to depend on it, then you can't rearrange drives without causing an issue.
> >
> > If you are going to remove that drive, then you don't want to boot from it
> > as a permanent solution.  You will need to migrate the bootloader off
> > this drive altogether.  Do some reading first, multi boot is extensively
> > well represented topic on the interwebs.
> >
> > Good Luck
> >

> I have not installed the OS on the new drive.  I did, however, format it so
> that I  put it into the fstab.
>
> --
> Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.          Life is a fuzzy set
> www.molecular-modeling.net        Stochastic and multivariate
> (614)312-7528(c)
> Skype:  smolnar1

There are several ways to setup dual boot that might work well for you.
If all you want to do is try out buster and see if you like it, then I'd
probably use a Live System though instead of installing right now.
There's no hurry.  I like David Christensen's ideas for getting you on a
good reliable setup with some redundancy... and maybe using VM to see how
you can migrate your software into the newer os.

If the idea is to switch back to a single GNU/Linux os installation, with
multiple physical drives, then I would probably go ahead now and rearrange
the drives so that whichever drive you wish to install the boot manager on
is the first physical drive.

What happens is, when you run grub-install, or allow the debian installer
to do it, grub sets and stores something called the $prefix on the drive.
This is a reference to the order of the drives, that tells grub where to
load files during the boot process.  Some BIOS have a habit of always
making the boot device (hd0) and some don't.  Some bioses will rearrange
devices when you add one, so you really have to be careful.

This is a good link that might help you understand, and has some links to
how you can use grub to examine the setup.

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/70538/grub-error-file-grub-i386-pc-normal-mod-not-found

It's not too complicated, but it is complicated so make sure and have a
backup plan for when you have problems.  A good live usb/cd, or knowing
how to use the install media in rescue mode can help.

L8r,
bw