Re: IPv4 v IPv6

On 17/06/19 9:09 PM, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 10:05:11AM +0100, mick crane wrote:
>> hello,
>> I know nothing about IPv6.
>> Can somebody point to a good explanation ?
> I'd recommend skimming the relevant Wikipedia [1] page.
>
> Cheers
>
> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6
I don't entirely agree that's a good introduction for someone without
any background knowledge in TCP/IP, but certainly a good resource when
one has some of the basics already.

To answer OP's questions,
> Without knowing anything about it I'm wondering if I should request an
> IPv6 range from my ISP to use locally.
Given that you do not already have a reason to do so, I would say not.
> A network card have IPv4 and IPv6 addresses that are different, not
> the same address in different notation?
A network card (also called an interface) can have both, and they are
not the same address.  IPv4 and IPv6 are two different network stacks,
with different addressing, routing, etc.
> Then with firewalling do you need to specify both IPv4 and IPv6 ranges?
Yes, for the same reason as above.

Sadly, most of the world is still on IPv4, so until IPv6 is deployed
across the majority of the Internet, then if you're not a large entity,
there's not much reason to use IPv6 other than playing around.

Here's a gentler introduction to IPv6 that might also help:
http://www.steves-internet-guide.com/ipv6-guide/

Regards,
Aidan Gauland