Re: Boot Problem

>Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D. says...
>I have just installed a new SSD in my 64 bit Stretch platform.
>
>When I boot the machine I get the following error:
>
>error: file '/boot/grub/i386-pc/normalmod' not found
>Entering rescue mode .. . .
>grub rescue>_
>
>Pressing Contro-Alt-Delete reboots the system. Pressing Delete , or
>F-8,during the post opens the ASUS UFEI Bios Utility - EZ mode (actually,
>F-8 opens the boot selection).
>
>Clicking  on P0 boots the machine normally.

Since the machine boots normally when you select P0 then why
not just use ASUS UFEI Bios Utility to set that as default?

Since the new drive has a filesystem, I'd say you did more than just
install it?  Drive/Boot order is nothing to take lightly, if you set grub
to depend on it, then you can't rearrange drives without causing an issue.

If you are going to remove that drive, then you don't want to boot from it
as a permanent solution.  You will need to migrate the bootloader off
this drive altogether.  Do some reading first, multi boot is extensively
well represented topic on the interwebs.

Good Luck