Re: Using ISO image of installer DVD as repository - How?

On Sat 01 Jun 2019 at 19:58:13 -0000, Curt wrote:

> man apt-cdrom
>
>    It is necessary to use apt-cdrom to add CDs to the APT system; it cannot be
>    done by hand.  Furthermore each disc in a multi-CD set must be inserted and
>    scanned separately to account for possible mis-burns.
>
> /etc/fstab
>
>  /home/richard/dvdmount /mnt/dvdmount iso9660 user,loop 0 0
>
> with mount-point mounted
>
>  apt-cdrom -m -d=/mnt/dvdmount add
>
> if apt persists in asking for insertion of the disk
>
> apt.conf
>
>  Acquire::cdrom::mount "/mnt/dvdmount";
>  APT::CDROM::NoMount;
>
> Worked for an anonymous user on the internets, which is pretty damn persuasive.

This ia a viable alternative to get a line into sources.list and produce
the makings of a workable updating, upgrading and installing system.

Unfortunately, the OP will run into exactly the same problem(s) as he
would meet with file:///..... . Solve those with the present URI type
and it is also solved for cdrom:.... .

The OP's declared motivation is "self-education" and what is wanted is
that it "should just work". By "it" I imagine he means using a d-i ISO
as a repository with the file URI type. Perhaps I didn't sufficiently
stress that he knows the basics, but, as suggested earlier, the
sources.list line is not constructed correctly. That is the first hurdle
and the sources.list manual is all that needs to be read to jump over it.

The second hurdle isn't that hard to stride over either.

--
Brian.