Re: Using ISO image of installer DVD as repository - How?

On Fri 31 May 2019 at 13:31:51 +0100, Brian wrote:

> On Fri 31 May 2019 at 07:20:24 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
>
> > With the first DVD of Debian 9.8.0 I did:
> >    dd if=/dev/cdrom of=dvd.iso bs=4M
> > I edited sources.list to read
> >    deb file:///home/richard/dvd.iso stretch main contrib trusted=yes
> >
> > When running Synaptic's
> >     Edit->Reload Package Information
> > I receive an error message:
> > > The repository 'file:/home/richard/dvd.iso stretch Release'
> > > does not have a Release file.
> >
> > What is the problem?
>
> >From sources.list(5):
>
>        The currently recognized URI types are:
>
>        file
>            The file scheme allows an arbitrary directory in the file
>            system to be considered an archive.
>
> An ISO is not an "arbitrary directory".

Now that that has been sorted out we can move on with some educational
problem solving. You have used the sources.list entry:

  deb file:///home/richard/dvdmount stretch main contrib trusted=yes

This line is incorrect; the format for an entry is in sources.list(5).
You then replaced this entry with another one that was also incorrect,
getting the error message

  The repository 'file:/home/richard/dvdmount stretch Release' is not signed.

I suggest you devise a valid entry and post it here. After 'apt update'
you will get a different error message that will enable you to progress
to a solution.

--
Brian.