Re: Using ISO image of installer DVD as repository - How?

On 2019-06-02, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

> I've read those man pages but never put them together that way.
> I'm hoping that reading
>   https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-handbook/apt.en.html
> will either fill the gaps in my background or point me appropriately.

My thinking went along the lines that a loop-mounted (if that is the
correct term) cd/dvd iso file is the effective equivalent of a cd/dvd in
the drive, in which case it appears apt-cdrom is the obligatory tool to
give APT what it requires to grok such an animal as a package repository.

One "trivial" method (though outside the strict delineations of the problem
space as you defined it) would be to mount the iso, create a directory ('mkdir -p
/var/lib/mydebs'), copy the debs from the iso to '/var/lib/mydebs', add
'deb file:/var/lib/mydebs ./' to your sources.list, and run
'dpkg-scanpackages . | gzip > Packages.gz' in '/var/lib/mydebs'.

An 'apt-get update' from there and you should be ready to go (if we can
believe the wiki).

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianRepository/Setup

--
“Decisions are never really made – at best they manage to emerge, from a chaos
of peeves, whims, hallucinations and all around assholery.” – Thomas Pynchon