Re: Using ISO image of installer DVD as repository - How?

On Sat 01 Jun 2019 at 10:39:26 +0100, Brian wrote:

> On Fri 31 May 2019 at 13:31:51 +0100, Brian wrote:
>
> > On Fri 31 May 2019 at 07:20:24 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> >
> > > With the first DVD of Debian 9.8.0 I did:
> > >    dd if=/dev/cdrom of=dvd.iso bs=4M
> > > I edited sources.list to read
> > >    deb file:///home/richard/dvd.iso stretch main contrib trusted=yes
> > >
> > > When running Synaptic's
> > >     Edit->Reload Package Information
> > > I receive an error message:
> > >
> > > What is the problem?
> >
> > >From sources.list(5):
> >
> >        The currently recognized URI types are:
> >
> >        file
> >            The file scheme allows an arbitrary directory in the file
> >            system to be considered an archive.
> >
> > An ISO is not an "arbitrary directory".
>
> Now that that has been sorted out we can move on with some educational
> problem solving. You have used the sources.list entry:
>
>   deb file:///home/richard/dvdmount stretch main contrib trusted=yes
>
> This line is incorrect; the format for an entry is in sources.list(5).
> You then replaced this entry with another one that was also incorrect,
> getting the error message
>
>   The repository 'file:/home/richard/dvdmount stretch Release' is not signed.
>
> I suggest you devise a valid entry and post it here. After 'apt update'
> you will get a different error message that will enable you to progress
> to a solution.

I think I will use this portion of the thread to talk to myself out
loud. :)

The URI given in the first post is actually correct and the file
URI type is perfectly acceptable. When dvdmount in /home/richard
is accessed, the dists and pool directories can be seen. This is
as it should be. If richard can see them, so can apt, and that
gives apt everything it needs to update. upgrade and install
packages. apt does not need to be told explicitly about /dists and
/pool.

But there is an "option" in the sources.list line. Well, not really
an option, as can be seen by looking at the ONE-LINE-STYLE FORMAT
section of sources.list(5). This begins:

  Files in this format have the extension .list. Each line
  specifying a source starts with a type (e.g. deb-src)
  followed by options and arguments for this type.

--
Brian.