using git locally

hello,
Because I am always making mistakes I thought, if it's not too hard, to see about using git locally.
I made a git repository for project following destructions
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-use-git-effectively
but I'm having bother accessing it remotely.
I can ssh from one pc to another using keys with key phrase.
"ssh mick@server"
but
"git remote add origin ssh://mick@server/home/mick/git/camera"
and many variations I get.
fatal: not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
I'm not really understanding the difference between "ssh" and "ssh://" except "ssh" works in terminal and "ssh://" doesn't. Is it ssh:// that is wrong or I've failed to get the syntax right for git ?
mick
--
Key ID    4BFEBB31