Re: using git locally

On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 02:36:36PM +0100, mick crane wrote:
> Because I am always making mistakes I thought, if it's not too hard, to see
> about using git locally.

If that is literally all you want to do, then you don't need to set up
a "repository".  You have your project, sitting in a directory.  You can
turn that directory into a git-managed directory and use "git commit"
and so on right inside it, without ever pushing or pulling or remoteing
or origining or any other stuff where your directory is linked to some
outside entity.

> I made a git repository for project following destructions
> https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-use-git-effectively
> but I'm having bother accessing it remotely.

Digital ocean is not exactly the first choice here.

The official Git documentation, in particular chapter 4
<https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-on-the-Server-The-Protocols>

would probably be a better starting point.

> I can ssh from one pc to another using keys with key phrase.
> "ssh mick@server"
> but
> "git remote add origin ssh://mick@server/home/mick/git/camera"
> and many variations I get.

If you really *did* create a git repository on a remote server, and
you want to clone it onto your local PC, you use a "git clone" command.

Something like:  git clone my.server:/whatever.git