Re: Is Debian 9 supposed to work on a Geode?

Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> Quoting Björn Persson (2019-05-02 15:07:00)
> > Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > > Most but not all areas that Geode CPUs previously covered, nowadays
> > > is covered by ARM SoCs.  You may find this useful:
> > > https://wiki.debian.org/CheapServerBoxHardware
> >
> > Something ARM-based might well be a candidate, yes. Thanks for the
> > list, but its requirements are partially different from mine. For
> > example a microSD slot isn't a hard requirement for me.
>
> Not sure why you emphasize MicroSD - it just happens to be the storage
> type most common among cheap ARM boards.

Maybe it's only because I'm not familiar with the ARM world. I think of
memory cards as a removable medium that's used for copying files between
devices – especially from a camera to a computer. I tend to assume that
permanently mounted storage devices use SATA (unless requirements are
so high that NVME or SAS is used). If there are quality microSD cards
nowadays that are performant and reliable enough to replace a disk or
SSD, then I suppose I could use that.

When I see "uSD slot, easy accessible" in a bulleted list of what looks
like requirements, then I get the impression that any device that lacks
a microSD slot, or where it's not easy to access, would be excluded. I
wouldn't reject an otherwise promising computer just because it has a
SATA disk instead of a microSD card, and I don't mind using a
screwdriver if I need to replace a hard disk. That's all I meant.

Björn Persson