Re: Is Debian 9 supposed to work on a Geode?

Quoting Björn Persson (2019-05-05 18:05:59)
> Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > Quoting Björn Persson (2019-05-02 15:07:00)
> > >
> > > Something ARM-based might well be a candidate, yes. Thanks for the
> > > list, but its requirements are partially different from mine. For
> > > example a microSD slot isn't a hard requirement for me.
> >
> > Not sure why you emphasize MicroSD - it just happens to be the
> > storage type most common among cheap ARM boards.
>
> Maybe it's only because I'm not familiar with the ARM world. I think
> of memory cards as a removable medium that's used for copying files
> between devices – especially from a camera to a computer. I tend to
> assume that permanently mounted storage devices use SATA (unless
> requirements are so high that NVME or SAS is used). If there are
> quality microSD cards nowadays that are performant and reliable enough
> to replace a disk or SSD, then I suppose I could use that.
>
> When I see "uSD slot, easy accessible" in a bulleted list of what
> looks like requirements, then I get the impression that any device
> that lacks a microSD slot, or where it's not easy to access, would be
> excluded. I wouldn't reject an otherwise promising computer just
> because it has a SATA disk instead of a microSD card, and I don't mind
> using a screwdriver if I need to replace a hard disk. That's all I
> meant.

Makes good sense.  Thanks for elaborating.

The referenced wiki page targets devices usable for non-technical users
- it was established for the FreedomBox project at first, but have seen
more broad use since then.

That item about easy accessible MicroSD card specifically is because a)
cheap ARM SBCs (single board computers) typically require MicroSD for
_booting_ even when equipped with SATA and USB port (for comparison with
IBM-compatible computers think "which device can BIOS be loaded from"),
and b) an early reference device for the FreedomBox project - GuruPlug -
had its MicroSD card behind a seal, so even if users are able to operate
a screwdriver if flashing went wrong then resetting involved "breaking
the seal".

 - Jonas