Re: is xdvi broken?

On 2019.04.22 06:51, Bill Wood wrote:

Is there a reason not to use pdflatex?  My workflow then is
= In emacs, save the doc foo.tex
= switch to a virtual terminal
= execute "pdflatex foo.tex" (as many times as needed)

Why would it be necessary to execute pdflatex more than once?

= execute "evince foo.pdf"
= when desired, select "Print" from the "File options" menu of evince
= switch back to emacs

But to print from evince requires that I take my hand off the
keyboard and reach for the rodent in order to print.

Kindly forgive my lack of perception, but I do not see why it is
advantageous to introduce into my work routine a PDF file and a PDF
viewer such as evince.

In order to write say, an article, I fire up Emacs, write for a while,
using LaTeX markup, now and then in Emacs executing "Ctrl-x s"
to save the document (I dislike to be interrupted by the auto-save
feature of Emacs).

Occasionally I print out a paper copy of the incomplete article and
move to my reading chair, using a pen to make revisions and correct
typographical errors.  To print a copy, I:

    = use Alt-TAB to switch to a terminal

    = execute "latext foo.tex"
      (if I am running latexmk with the -pcv option,
      this occurs automatically)

    = execute "dvips foo.dvi"
      (if I am running latexmk with the -pcv option,
      this occurs automatically)

    = execute "lpr foo.ps"

    = use Alt-TAB to return to the Emacs screen

Sometimes I simply need to glance briefly at the document in typeset
form, without printing it out on paper.  For this, I:

    = use Alt-TAB to switch to a terminal

    = execute "latext foo.tex"
      (if I am running latexmk with the -pcv option,
      this occurs automatically)

    = use Alt-TAB to advance to the xdvi screen

    = use Alt-TAB to return to the Emacs screen