Re: is xdvi broken?

On 2019.04.22 01:43, David Wright wrote:

... most people will be receiving a good proportion of documents as
PDF files, and so will have their printing system (like CUPS) set up
to handle them ... rather than the previously conventional
.tex→DVI→PS→PDF workflow.

On the average, I print only one PDF document a day.

I remember the struggles of getting printing running back in the old days, the joy when LPRng was introduced, and my initial reluctance to abandon a proven system (LPRng) for unknown waters when, later on, CUPS was introduced. But I did make the switch to CUPS.

Do you convert PDF documents from elsewhere to PS yourself, before you
print them? For most people, this kind of function is handled
automatically by CUPS, and it will convert many other types of file as
well. So my workflow is .tex→PDF→CUPS when I bother to print it myself.

No, the only time I explicitly convert a document to PS is when I am composing in LaTeX and execute dvips to get hardcopy to proofread.

I print some PDF documents after downloading from web pages; these generally are things such as an instruction manual, or an invoice received as an e-mail attachment.

I open such documents with whatever PDF viewer happens to be available in the APPLICATIONS MENU of the desktop; under Debian 7 or 8 I think the viewer was Evince. If I need a paper copy, I select PRINT from the menu of the PDF viewer, and the viewer hands off the document to CUPS.

-------

If I understand correctly, you are suggesting that I run latexmk with the option to create a PDF, so that, when I wish to print a copy of the document-in-progress to proofread, the procedure is:

    = In Emacs, save the document
    = Switch to a virtual terminal
    = Execute "lpr mydocument.pdf"
    = Switch back to Emacs
    = Continue work on the document

That saves three steps over my current procedure:

    = In Emacs, save the document
    = Switch to a virtual terminal
    = Execute "latex mydocument.tex"
    = Execute "latex mydocument.tex"